Home remedies are very common in India, they are something which gets passed on from one generation to another. Growing up in Indian household, I have tried my fair share of these remedies and guess what???? They do work!
Since, it’s December, season of cough and cold is here, I am sharing some tried and tested home remedies to ease up your throat.
- Take a slice of fresh ginger, peel it and suck on it. If you don’t like the taste then, chew it down with some jaagery. Do this twice a day.
- Chewing a twig of liquorice is an effective remedy for sore throat and hoarseness of voice.
- Mix a spoon of liquorice powder with a spoon of honey and have it, it is very beneficial to cure cough.
- Take piece of liquorice (mulethi) root, 5 leaves of basil (tulsi), 2-3 leaves of mint (pudina) and half a glass of water, boil it at low flame for 10 minutes. Filter and drink it hot or lukewarm.
- Eat 4-5 basil leaves with two whole black pepper.
- Add two teaspoon of honey and one teaspoon of lemon juice to a glass of warm water and drink to fight a cold.
- Take 4-5 pieces if fresh garlic and sauté it in clarified butter (ghee). Eat this when still warm.
- Mix a few drops of eucalyptus oil with coconut or olive oil and rub them onto the chest and throat.
- Heat sesame oil and add garlic into it. Gently massage it on your chest, it will help with congestion.
- Mix salt and black pepper in a glass of pineapple juice. Drink it twice to cure your cough. Don’t drink it iced.
- Add two tablespoons of crushed thyme into a cup of boiling water. Drink this mixture hot to get rid of sore throat.
- Take one spoon off clarified butter (ghee), add 4-5 basil leaves and 1-2 black pepper. Heat it up and eat. Do it before you go to bed at night.
- Drink caraway (ajwain) infused water (Add one spoon caraway (ajwain) to 1 litre water. Leave it for about 4 hours) Drink it hot or lukewarm throughout the day.
- Mix 1 teaspoon black pepper powder in 1 spoon honey. Eat this mixture twice to get rid of dry cough.
- Take a pan with a cupful of water and add some ground basil (tulsi) leaves, half a teaspoon black pepper and half a teaspoon chopped ginger together. Bring it to boil. Add a teaspoon of honey. Sip it hot.
- Take one cup lukewarm water, add 1 teaspoon turmeric powder and one teaspoon of salt. Mix it well and gulp it down before going to sleep at night. Do not drink cold water afterwards.
- Roast turmeric on a pan, ground it to get powder. Mix 1 teaspoon of this powder with 1 spoon honey and eat.
- Cook 10-15 whole black pepper in clarified butter and chew it down.
- Add one teaspoon of turmeric into a cup of hot water. Mix it well and sip like a tea.
Tips for quick recovery
- Avoid cold food and fruits like banana, curd, iced tea, ice creams.
- Take hot water baths.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup warm water and gargle with it multiple times a day for quick relief.
- Wrap a scarf or a muffler around your neck.
- Drink hot herbal teas at least twice a day.
- You can use a humidifier or take a stream from a hot bowl of water.
- Drink kadha prepared from basil leaves and spices.
- Try to have soups or stews.
Note: Do not try these remedies if you’re allergic to any ingredient used. Tips and suggestions mentioned in this article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice.