Halwa is an easy to make dessert. It is basically prepared from semolina and milk.
In the Southern part of India halwa is known as Kesari Bhat.
Orange halwa is one of the variations of the basic halwa recipe. It is really delicious and looks beautiful.
Further, orange pulp, orange zest and orange juice is added to add flavour in this halwa. It can be served as a dessert or even as a side dish in Indian thali.
I know to some of you, the idea of this fruity halwa might seem crazy but it is delicious.
The first fruity halwa I had tried was apple halwa and I liked it fine. After that I really wanted to try halwa with other fruit combinations.
Orange is just the perfect fruit for it as it gives tanginess to this dessert. The overall flavour we get is sour-sweet which feels like candy in your mouth.
You can also adjust its tanginess by moderating the amount of oranges you’re using.
Delicious Orange Semolina Halwa RecipeCourse: DessertCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Difficult
Orange halwa is a delicious dessert which has flavour of orange and sweetness of traditional suji halwa.
2 tablespoon ghee
2 cup fresh orange pulp
1/2 tablespoon orange zest
1-2 drop orange food color
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
1/2 cup cream
1 tablespoon chopped almonds
1 cup semolina
Sugar as per taste
- Heat ghee in a pan and add semolina in it.
- Fry semolina till it turns light brown in color and keep it aside.
- Take a vessel and add orange juice to it.
- Keep the flame low then, add sugar, orange pulp, food colour and orange zest.
- Cook until it boils and becomes slightly thick.
- Add this into semolina along with cream and cook until you get proper halwa consistency (until water evaporates completely).
- Garnish it with chopped almonds.
- You can increase or decrease the amount of orange juice you’re using depending on how much orange flavor you want in your halwa.
Apart from orange halwa there are other fruit halwa to try as well. Next time you ever visit an Indian restaurant, do check for fruit halwa in the menu.
Hopefully, you’ll find something appealing and take that flavour home with you.