French onion soup is really delicious and flavorful. It is prepared in beef stock but today, we will look at the vegetarian version of this dish. In this recipe we will use vegetable stock instead of beef stock and for deglazing we will use apple cider vinegar instead of dry white wine. It’s not easy to find Gruyere cheese in my region, so I have added Parmesan cheese. This is an easy homemade recipe and you won’t regret making it.
Recipe For French Onion Soup l Vegetarian VersionCourse: RecipesCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Medium
French onion soup is very flavourful and can be prepared at home. The taste of caramelised onions is just hard to resist.
2 cup thinly sliced onions
2 tablespoon butter
1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
2 cup vegetable stock
1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
1 teaspoon thyme
4 tablespoon grated Gruyere cheese or Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoon parsley leaves
Salt as required
2 slices of French bread
2 tablespoon wheat flour
- Place a pan on the stove and add butter.
- Add sliced onions and salt in melted butter, then mix.
- Stir and saute the onions continuously to get (caramelised onions) golden brown colour.
- Add apple cider vinegar to the pan for deglazing and then saute the onions for 2-3 minutes.
- Add flour to the onions and mix really well.
- Then, add thyme, black pepper, salt and cover the pan.
- Let the soup simmer at low flame for 30 minutes.
- In a preheated oven toast buttered bread slices at 230 degrees Celsius (450 degrees Fahrenheit) till light golden.
- Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese all over the toasted bread slices and keep them in a preheated oven at 230 degrees Celsius (450 degrees Fahrenheit) till the cheese melts.
- Pour prepared soup into a bowl and serve with a prepared bread slice.
- Don’t forget to garnish with some parsley while serving.
- It’s not easy to find Gruyere cheese in my region so I have added Parmesan cheese.